Sunday, October 10, 2010

Adventure #86 - The Gimp

As I had decided to install Linux on my computer, I faced a problem : Photoshop. Not that I use photoshop a lot and what I do is quite basic anyway, but I still need it. And you know, once you're used to a program, it can be hard to change and start using another one.


No choice for me anyway, I needed to be able to use a graphic editor on Linux. So here I was, installing GIMP. Somebody at work once had a problem with Photoshop and painfully tried to use Gimp, without much success. So I was a bit scared I wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

Actually, Gimp is apparently a really good software but it just doesn't work like Photoshop so people don't bother learning everything back from the beginning. I found some good explanations and tutorials on the internet that really helped me understand the basic manipulations (if you understand French, this website is great for computer dummies:  Le site du zéro).

I still have a lot to learn and sometimes need to think a bit to remember how to make this or that effect, but I'm getting there. And at least now, I'm not annoyed anymore by the idea of having to use Gimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment